Turn to the certified lymphedema therapists at ARSO for treatments to reduce swelling. Our expert team will help ease your symptoms, allowing you to move more easily, prevent infection and enhance your quality of life.
Certified Lymphedema Therapist
Partner with a therapist who has advanced training to care for all stages of lymphedema. Expert care can help you reduce pain and other symptoms so that your daily activities are easier.
Lymphedema is buildup of a fluid in the body that causes swelling and usually happens in the arms or legs. It can happen after surgery, during cancer treatment or after an injury. Obesity or circulation problems can also cause lymphedema.
Symptoms of Lymphedema
Talk to your doctor if you have:
- A feeling of tight, hard or heavy skin
- Frequent infections
- Reduced strength, mobility or range of motion
- Swelling of the limbs, abdomen, head or neck
Signs and Symptoms of Lymphedema
During the first two to six weeks of your program, your therapy may include:
- Compression bandages and other therapeutic garments to help improve fluid movement
- Exercises that promote fluid drainage
- Manual lymphatic drainage, or gentle massage that helps fluid drain naturally
- Skin and nail care to prevent infection.
You’ll wear customized compression garments each day to prevent swelling. Replace your garments every four to six months to get the most benefit from them.
Type of Lymphedema
This means it can occur on its own (primary lymphedema), or it can be caused by another disease or condition (secondary lymphedema). Secondary lymphedema is far more common than primary lymphedema.
Optimum Goal after Manual Lymphatic Drainage:
Lymphedema therapy consist of two phases:
- Manual lymph drainage
- Compression bandaging
- Lymph drainage exercises
- Education on skin care
- Training in self-care
- Compression garments for day and night time use
- Follow-up visits with Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT) to monitor progress
How to make an appointment for Lymphedema therapy?
If you have any of the two types of Lymphedema, primary or secondary. Please call our office at 301-588-3929 and schedule your initial consultation to determine your duration from 2-6 weeks. In order to have a successful program your frequency is 5 days per week.
Your therapist will instruct you with the bandages needed for your treatments and at the end of the program with your garments to maintain the fluid off of your body.